With a Microsoft Dynamics AX deployment years behind schedule, this $100 million publishing company looked for a recovery partner and strategy to execute and deliver the project. They approached Turning Point Consulting because of our Microsoft ERP expertise and exceptional track record of project delivery. Utilizing the Turning Point Systems Implementation Methodology℠, the new ERP system was successfully deployed within eight months, finally allowing the company to focus resources on other critical priorities.
Initially, the Client wanted to automate several essential business functions while also upgrading Dynamics GP to Dynamics AX. Shortly after the project launch, the new business functionality was not attainable, resulting in the project being a technical upgrade only. The Client had customized Dynamics GP for over 20 years to meet complex publishing and distribution needs, so replacing it would not be easy. While a standard Dynamics AX deployment was desired at the project outset, it became heavily customized over time. The business continued to request more customizations, resulting in continuous project delays.
Leveraged Turning Point 5Ps of Change and Transformation Methodology℠ and Systems Selection and Deployment Methodology℠ to assess and deliver the project.
- Purpose – Clarified the intent of the project with Client executive leadership and key stakeholders. We aligned the project accordingly.
- People –Evaluated the project team, reaffirmed the project Executive Sponsor’s commitment, established Steering Committee, and created a dedicated Core Team of workstream and functional owners. Next, align the overall organization to the project’s purpose with ongoing updates, solicitation of feedback, and frequent department communications.
- Process – Insured previously customized processes worked and rigorously prioritized additional requests to keep the project on track while delivering viable solutions to operate the business.
- Platform – Investigated two viable options, upgrade Dynamics GP, or continue with Dynamics AX. The Client pushed ahead with AX.
- Project – Implemented change and project management processes. A formal governance process was used to ensure the scope and project stayed on track.
The client successfully completed the ERP project within eight months after Turning Point got involved.